[hunchentoot-devel] Invoke-debugger

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 08:37:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 09:22, Frode V. Fjeld <frode at netfonds.no> wrote:
> Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:
>
>> *break-on-signals* doesn't force you to break on every signal.
>
> One simple use-case I believe where the *break-on-signals* approach is
> inappropriate is if some response is computed by means of e.g.
>
>  (if (ignore-errors (try-or-fail ...))
>      "It worked!"
>      "Something went wrong.")

We faced this problem a few times in the past and had the luxury to
fix the underlying libraries.  Normally, removing the use of
ignore-errors is not hard to do, and quality code does not use it
anyway.  Face it, using (ignore-errors (parse-integer ...)) is nothing
but stupid, but that was where I had to repair stuff in the past to
make it debuggable.

I am not meaning to say that I would be strictly opposed to
re-establishing a Hunchentoot-private way to control error handling.
It is just that I have not felt restricted by using *break-on-signals*
and that I consider code which uses errors to handle errors to be
preferable in any case, Hunchentoot or not.