[slime-devel] Re: Ilisp interfering with SLIME ?

Xavier Maillard zedek at gnu-rox.org
Mon Nov 1 22:31:45 UTC 2004

On  1 nov 2004, Luke Gorrie wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek at gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > > What exactly makes you believe that ILISP is loaded? Note
> > > that
> >
> > Message echoed when opening a lisp file :) And I am sure of
> > what I have seen since I can verify this by switching to the
> > Messages buffer.
>
> If you're sure then that's okay, but if you want more help then
> you'll have to say what the message is so that we can decide
> for ourselves :-)

Well I could just past the message buffer contents here, but I
won't since I am pretty sure the problem is due to Emacs
packaging (and I have a ilisp debian package installed). My guess
is that you are right: I should remove ilisp since I have never
used it before and won't use it ;)

> > On this running emacs, I don't see the problem when loading a
> > lisp file whereas I can clearly see it on another emacs using
> > emacs-snapshot package. I think the problem is not SLIME but
> > emacs-snaphsot Debian package. It seems it is loading ilisp
> > on his own.
> >
> > Sorry for the noise, I am reporting this to the debian
> > maintainer.
>
> Maybe you need to 'apt-get remove ilisp'?

Yes. Done ;) This fixed the problem BTW :/

Now only slime is loaded and that's fine this way.

> In general I think it would be reasonable for a Debian package
> to auto-load a Lisp development package when, say, a lisp-mode
> file is opened. It's unfortunate though that loading ILISP has
> direct side-effects on lisp-mode that we can't easily override.

I agree with you but when a user says explicitly what he wants to
do with his lisp files, I think default behavior should be
overridden by user settings -i.e. SLIME should have been used
solely and Emacs should have forgotten about ilisp-.

Nevermind, now all is cool.

> P.S., afaik GNU Emacs does not include ILISP in any version.

Yup. I forgot to check if anything had been added before telling
this ;)

Thank you for help and support.
--
 In Gruuik we trust