[clfswm-devel] CLFSWM licence change?

madnificent madnificent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:49:59 UTC 2012

Hello Stayvoid,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Stayvoid <stayvoid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm advocating for the GNU GPLv3 or any future version.

"any future version" is a no-go for me.

>> And that's my main issue against the GPL. I don't understand the
>> license. It is *way* too complex for my tiny little brain to
>> understand.
> It's written in such way to protect users' (including the author)
> freedom from various legal tricks.
> Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5G7FU5j2Uc

I don't understand the legal writing, I understand their explanation.
As RMS has a very limited view on what the world should look like, I
find it hard to trust his opinions on his own work.  So it may be cool
that they limit all sorts of legal tricks, but that also makes sure
I'm really certain I don't understand what I'm getting myself in to.

>> I don't even know what I'm allowed to do in the contributions directory.
> You can ask the FSF: http://www.fsf.org/about/contact/email

Yes you can, but still I don't understand it myself.  For something
I'm doing for free, it feels really really odd.

> The main goal of the GNU GPL is to protect people from the proprietary
> software. If you let them to use some non-free programs, then you'll
> support the proprietary software. There are a lot of people who don't
> understand the importance of the free software. The GNU GPL is a hack
> to protect their freedom too.

Proprietary software isn't the root of all evil.  If it were, then you
wouldn't be using a gmail address right now.  For a *lot* of things it
makes more sense to share code, but sometimes, it doesn't.  Forcing
people to be free isn't exactly making them free.  In the same way an
exorcism doesn't really free people.  Nor does freeing people from any
given religion.  Freedom is having the choice.  But in essence both
did free people from something we assumed they had to be freed of.
The GPL doesn't give freedom to users, it takes it away. :-)

Freedom means having a choice.  And although the FSF does it's best to
make sure you understand that the GPL is giving you freedom, it really
is taking it away.

Furthermore I'm not prepared to be held responsible over potential
violations of *future* versions of the GPL license, whatever they may
be.  Any future version is a clear no-go for me, from a contributor's
point of view.