[clfswm-devel] CLFSWM licence change?

Stayvoid stayvoid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:34:18 UTC 2012

> "any future version" is a no-go for me.
> Furthermore I'm not prepared to be held responsible over potential
> violations of *future* versions of the GPL license, whatever they may
> be.  Any future version is a clear no-go for me, from a contributor's
> point of view.
Future versions are for those people who want to distribute the copies.
For example, there will be some new legal tricks in the future. So you
have to provide people a chance to choose between the GNU GPL 3 or the
advanced version.
You can't get sued for that because you've chosen the GNU GPL 3.

> I don't understand the legal writing, I understand their explanation.
You should try to understand. Or you can ask a lawyer to help you.

> Proprietary software isn't the root of all evil.
No, it's not, but there are a lot of things which depend on the
software. Computers are everywhere nowadays.

> If it were, then you wouldn't be using a gmail address right now.
It's a temporary email. I hope to use my own in the near future.

> For a *lot* of things it makes more sense to share code, but sometimes, it doesn't.
I don't think so. Could you provide an example?

> Forcing people to be free isn't exactly making them free. In the same way an
> exorcism doesn't really free people. Nor does freeing people from any
> given religion. Freedom is having the choice. But in essence both
> did free people from something we assumed they had to be freed of.
> The GPL doesn't give freedom to users, it takes it away. :-)
Do not sneer, please.
The choice means that you have four essential freedoms. It's not a
real freedom if you have to choose between the free software and the
proprietary software, because the latter restricts you.

> Furthermore I'm not prepared to be held responsible over potential
> violations of *future* versions of the GPL license, whatever they may
> be.  Any future version is a clear no-go for me, from a contributor's
> point of view.
You will not be responsible if you don't violate the license.
Ask a lawyer if you aren't sure.

It's very important. I hope you'll agree with me.

Cheers.