[clfswm-devel] A toolbar displaying CPU usage, date, volume, ...

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Wed Apr 11 19:59:53 UTC 2012

Michaël Cadilhac writes:

> Hi there everyone,

Hi, welcome on this list.

> I'm contemplating switching from awesome to CLFSWM.  Since my days
> with Ion, I got used to have a toolbar displaying a bunch of infos
> (most importantly, time), so my question is: what is the way to go to
> implement such a toolbar within CLFSWM?

You can have a look at open-notify-window in src/clfswm-util.lisp.
It's what you need to create a new window and display something in
it. You can then play with timers to update its content.

Something like a modeline is very welcome in the contrib directory. I've
no time to implement it right now, but this is in my TODO list.

Right now, you can play with fbpanel or xmobar for example and adjust
the get-fullscreen-size function.

> On a side note, how the hell do you guys do without a time display?

I have always an emacs open with its modeline somewhere.
And as Ales said, you can use keys like Shift+F12 to show frames status,
Control+F12 to show/hide a terminal or Alt+F1+d (to show the current time).

We can think to add some information in the frame window accessible
with shift+F12 or make windows titles clickable to select them (with
control+shift+F12).

> Happy hacking,

Happy hacking too,

Regards,