[clfswm-devel] A toolbar displaying CPU usage, date, volume, ...

Ales Guzik ales.guzik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 18:37:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Michaël Cadilhac <michael at cadilhac.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Ales Guzik <ales.guzik at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Michaël Cadilhac <michael at cadilhac.name> wrote:
>>> Hi there everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm contemplating switching from awesome to CLFSWM.  Since my days
>>> with Ion, I got used to have a toolbar displaying a bunch of infos
>>> (most importantly, time), so my question is: what is the way to go to
>>> implement such a toolbar within CLFSWM?
>>>
>>> On a side note, how the hell do you guys do without a time display?
>
>> Personally I used conky for this kind of things.
>
> Thanks, I'll give it a try.
>
>> Actually window manager is thing that manages windows. It seems logical to
>> use something that displays information to display information.
>
> That's a good point, but it depends.  I use the bar to display lots of
> WM-related informations; for instance, I want to display the list of windows
> in the current frame, so I hope the communication between conky and CLFSWM¹
> is smooth.

If I understand you correctly, thing you want to see is shown by
Shift+F12. To additionnaly see child frames information just setup
transparency with xcompmgr.

>> And about time, I just set my zsh to display current time with every prompt.
>
> I do have that, and my Emacs has time too, but 1) I want a place where I'm
> *sure* to find the time (top right corner, say) and 2) I don't want to tweak
> each and every application I use (say, firefox) so that it displays the time.

There is CLFSWM terminal accessed by Ctrl+F12. I found it pretty usual
for me to press C-F12 <RET> to see time in top left corner, then C-F12
to hide terminal.

> Thanks again for the input, Ales.
>
> M.
>
> ¹: "CLFSWM" is a *pain* to write using dvorak layout.  You win this time,
>        qwerty.

Keeping qwerty really slowers dvorak learning rate. First time I tried
to switch I kept both, and after some time found myself not using
dvorak at all. Second time I just dropped qwerty and used stickers
with letters to have no way back. Two weeks and I found myself as
comfort with dvorak as I was using qwerty.