[clfswm-devel] A toolbar displaying CPU usage, date, volume, ...

Michaël Cadilhac michael at cadilhac.name
Wed Apr 11 16:26:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Ales Guzik <ales.guzik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Michaël Cadilhac <michael at cadilhac.name> wrote:
>> Hi there everyone,
>>
>> I'm contemplating switching from awesome to CLFSWM.  Since my days
>> with Ion, I got used to have a toolbar displaying a bunch of infos
>> (most importantly, time), so my question is: what is the way to go to
>> implement such a toolbar within CLFSWM?
>>
>> On a side note, how the hell do you guys do without a time display?

> Personally I used conky for this kind of things.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

> Actually window manager is thing that manages windows. It seems logical to
> use something that displays information to display information.

That's a good point, but it depends.  I use the bar to display lots of
WM-related informations; for instance, I want to display the list of windows
in the current frame, so I hope the communication between conky and CLFSWM¹
is smooth.

> And about time, I just set my zsh to display current time with every prompt.

I do have that, and my Emacs has time too, but 1) I want a place where I'm
*sure* to find the time (top right corner, say) and 2) I don't want to tweak
each and every application I use (say, firefox) so that it displays the time.

Thanks again for the input, Ales.

M.

¹: "CLFSWM" is a *pain* to write using dvorak layout.  You win this time,
	qwerty.