[clfswm-devel] Navigation inside multiple frames setup ?

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Tue Apr 8 22:38:33 UTC 2008

Xavier Maillard writes:

>    > What's the best way to navigate inside such a setup. Say I have 3
>    > frames with several windows by frame. I do not want to have to
>    > Alt-Tab each window in each frame each time I am switching :)
>    >
>    The fast answer: use your mouse :)
>
> I do not like this idea. In fact, I am using CLFSWM exclusively
> with keyboard. I tried to resize frames with the mouse but I
> failed at it (I did not find what combo to use :))

It's a jocke: I don't use my mouse with clfswm. Even to create new
frames.

The key combo is Alt+mouse on the root window or the current root
frame window.

But a key I use intensively is "second mode + o" that is "open the
next window in a new frame on the root frame"
This is like create a new workspace on next window in the 0801
version.

>    In fact, now with multiple frame level I try to have max to 3 windows
>    in the same frame (most of the time 2) and I organize them so that I
>    can switch easily between them.
>
> I am using an EEE PC (by Asus) here and I *must* organize my
> windows carefully. In fact it is pretty simple, I am almost
> fullscreen for all.
>
> The frame feature will allow me to setup pre-defined frames:
>
> - Net (opera, firefox)
> - IM (actually aMSN to discuss with my syster)
> - work (xterm and/or screen)
> - emacs
>
> The root frame is used as a "decoration" here. All other frames
> are children of the root frame.

I think a better way is to create all this application in a frame in
the root frame. Like this you can have workspaces as usual.

> Speaking of aMSN, my sister often offers me to see her webcam.
> The problem is that this window is a transient window. How can I
> manage such window to force it to go in a particular frame ?

For now you can just recenter a transient window in its frame with:
second mode -> m -> w -> c

I have something more useful in mind where you can specify for each
frame the behaviour you want for each window type (normal,
transient...)

>    You can also bind a key to a particular child
>    (with Alt+1/2/3/4+Return) and jump to it with (Alt+1/2/3/4+Tab).
>
> WOnderful ! Is it new ?

Yes, I wrote this on 2 april

  http://trac.common-lisp.net/clfswm/changeset/66

--