[cl-typesetting-devel] Q: How to disable hyphenation and kerningglobally?

Dmitri Ivanov divanov at aha.ru
Mon Feb 9 19:02:22 UTC 2004

Hello Marc,

|> I meant to ask about the three things:
|> - usual word wrapping behavior but without trying to hyphenate,
|> - usual TJ adjustment between words but without kerning between
|>  characters,
|> - respecting newline characters.
|
| Have a look at #'put-source-code-string that does most of this.
| As the name implies it's meant to typeset source code text. For more
| general text I can't see why you would like to disable char kerning ?

In an PDF document where text prevails, without graphics or font embedded, a
good portion of it is occupied by "(char1) n1 (char2) n2 ... TJ" sequences.
In the application domain I am targeting at - printing database records in a
tabular form - built-in Acrobat Reader capabilities for char kerning would
be quite enough.

OTOH, adding stuff for easily defining page dimensions, headers, footers,
margins, and multi-page tables is of higher priority. I could look closer at
those if you gave some guidelines.

| Hyphenation would benefit from a special variable holding the language
| (or nil) and functions/macros to deal with it
| (set-hyphenation-language, with-no-hyphenation, etc.)

Agree.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitri Ivanov