[cl-typesetting-devel] Q: How to disable hyphenation and kerningglobally?

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Mon Feb 9 20:03:51 UTC 2004

> | Have a look at #'put-source-code-string that does most of this.
> | As the name implies it's meant to typeset source code text. For more
> | general text I can't see why you would like to disable char kerning ?
>
> In an PDF document where text prevails, without graphics or font embedded,
> good portion of it is occupied by "(char1) n1 (char2) n2 ... TJ"
sequences.
> In the application domain I am targeting at - printing database records in
> tabular form - built-in Acrobat Reader capabilities for char kerning would
> be quite enough.

Acrobat will not do kerning on its own, otherwise text length would not be
equal to the sum of the char widths. But I see what you mean, I have code in
stroke to deal with this and output compact pdf strings when there is no
extra char spacing. #'put-source-code-string  should be ok.

> OTOH, adding stuff for easily defining page dimensions, headers, footers,
> margins, and multi-page tables is of higher priority. I could look closer
at
> those if you gave some guidelines.

The most missing point to start is multi-page tables.
Though to start with tables it's probably easier to do some simple
improvements like specifying styles for the top/left/bottom/right borders of
cell/rows/table, col-span, default style, etc...

> | Hyphenation would benefit from a special variable holding the language
> | (or nil) and functions/macros to deal with it
> | (set-hyphenation-language, with-no-hyphenation, etc.)
>
> Agree.

Marc