Fwd: [cl-smtp-devel] Re: Encoding issues

Nick Allen rflug05 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 00:32:14 UTC 2008

I meant to CC this to the whole list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nick Allen <rflug05 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: [cl-smtp-devel] Re: Encoding issues
To: "Leslie P. Polzer" <leslie.polzer at gmx.net>

> Thanks again! But are you sure you have covered all cases with tests?

no, I'm not sure at all. We have been using this in a specific
situations where we send a user invite message in either all ascii or
all unicode. I don't know enough about email stuff yet to implement
real tests (beyond "did you get the email? yes. was the unicode
screwed up. yes"), although I'd like to when I get a chance...

> I have experienced two problems so far:
>
>  1. Body is ASCII, Subject contains non-ASCII parts
>     -> email/ascii is used, which fails because of the subject.

you are right

>  2. .qprint-encode/utf-8-email-subject doesn't do what it should
>     for me. Consider:
> ..[snip]..
>
> So it doesn't really do anything, and the regex doesn't seem
> to match any word...

this regex works fine for me. what cl-ppcre are you using? I'm using
the one from

  http://bknr.net/svn/ediware

I don't know if this could have a difference...

I made a darcs repo we can use while trying to figure it out

  darcs get http://common-lisp.net/project/bpm/trivial-email-utf-8

browsable at

  http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=bpm-trivial-email-utf-8;a=tree

it implements SEND-EMAL*, which is just like CL-SMTP:SEND-EMAIL except
it knows about qprinting unicode, and INVITE-USER which is like
SEND-EMAIL* but for sending email on behalf of a user

I haven't had a chance to test it (either with "did you get it?" or
real testing), since I'm on my laptop at the moment and am not in a
position to connect to our mail server. I will try to do this as soon
as I get a chance...

take care

Nick