[cells-gtk-devel] new patch

Peter Denno peter.denno at nist.gov
Sat Mar 24 20:51:29 UTC 2007

On Saturday 24 March 2007 12:07, Dmitri Hrapof wrote:
> Hello! I tried to post this message a week ago, but apparently it was
> too long for the list, so I resend it after putting the patch on the web.

Hi Dmitri,

I think there are length restrictions on this email list. They might have
prevented your posting.

> I've just finished a substantial project in which I tried lots of new
> Lisp things (for me, that is): foreign libraries, GUI, serial port
> programming, process spawning etc. It's a real time scientific data
> visualisation program, and I am pleased to say that Lisp version (5
> kLOC) is faster than C++ one (13 kLOC). The only thing I regret is I
> didn't use cells themselves as time was scarce and I had to learn GTK
> along the way, so I decided to absorb new things gradually :)
> The patch with modifications that I made to cells-gtk in the process
> (mostly new function declarations) lies here:
> http://www.common-lisp.ru/cells-gtk.patch
> I ran diff as follows:
> diff -urN cells-gtk-2006-06-30-orig cells-gtk-2006-06-30 >cells-gtk.patch
>
> I reinclude drawing.lisp but removed almost everything from it save
> widget declaration. The reason is that drawing and text rendering can be
> done either with cl-opengl and freetype (e.g. my semi-working freetype
> binding, inspired by CLIM freetype binding:
> http://www.common-lisp.ru/cleft.lisp,
> http://www.common-lisp.ru/cleft.lisp) or with cl-cairo.

drawing.lisp should have used cairo. It was a rather naive attempt. If you'd
like to learn cells, you might try replacing the actual drawing primitives in
drawing.lisp with cairo calls, if that makes sense (I haven't looked at it in
detail). If you have questions about cells, you can ask on this list.

> Hope it will be useful.

It is hard to say without an example showing what it does. Do you have one,
ideally something that can run as part of the existing test-gtk demo?

Did you intend this patch as an addition to the cells-gtk distribution, or
just an example of how to do drawing?

What is cysgu about? It appears to only be (sleep .01), but is that a stub for
something else?

+		(loop
+		 (loop while (gtk-events-pending) do
+		       (gtk-main-iteration-do nil))
+		 (funcall (cysgu app) app))

> Sincerely yours,
> Dmitri
>
> P.S. BTW, is any support for Glade planned?

I don't, but maybe someone else here does. Sounds interesting though.

Best regards,
  - Peter