[xcvb-devel] XCVB 0.337, the maybe someone will try it version

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 00:04:48 UTC 2009

So for a few releases now, XCVB has been fully bootstrapped on SBCL
and CLISP and this now works most of the time.

Now, before we get any actual users, I've decided to do a few API
cleanups before it gets too painful to change. Therefore,
:build-requires becomes :build-depends-on to stay in line with the
rest, and :generate-depends-on becomes just :depends-on, since it
already appears in a :generate form. In such cases, it's painful to
try to compile with a previous xcvb, so instead you can bootstrap with
the good old: make xcvb-using-asdf.

A recent feature is that we hush some of the compiler notes and
style-warnings that people don't care for at ITA, mostly using a
configurable API (though the sbcl compiler notes are currently
special-cased). However, my feeble attempts at using
WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT so as to catch undefined function warnings that
I may save aside and reconcile at the end of the build were doubly
unsuccessful: not only did I not go so far as to find a way to parse
said warnings, the attempt caused a deadlock on the SBCL
1.0.28.70.ita.5 used at ITA as WITH-COMPILATION tries to grab a MUTEX,
though it works perfectly on the minimally modified SBCL
1.0.29.54.rc5.cfasl that I compiled locally. And so I commented out
this WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT and for now, you'll be getting lots of
UNDEFINED-FUNCTION style-warnings while compiling, that will cause
your compile-file's to warn, and prevent you from stopping the build
when such condition is met.

For debugging purposes, the xcvb Makefile shows how to disable parallelism with
  make xcvb PARALLELIZE=
(Where the default value of PARALLELIZE is -j). In the distant future,
XCVB would control make itself, have a debug option, and drop you at
the REPL of the failing Lisp file with useful restarts. Not anytime
soon unless you make it happen, though.

PS: you know you don't have *any* user when you realize your release
tarball's bootstrap xcvb.mk had some paths hardwired in it that would
have required search-and-replace to fix on anyone's computer but your
own, and no one ever complained.

Lisp programmer available: Will write code
that writes code that writes code for food. -- Rob Warnock