[hunchentoot-devel] Default external format

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Oct 9 10:53:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Sebastian Tennant
<sebyte at smolny.plus.com> wrote:

> The need for a default encoding when computing the request object suggests to
> me that there must be such things as badly formed requests, i.e., ones from
> which the character encoding can't be reliably determined.?  If so, which
> clients are the worst offenders, just out of interest?

I'm not aware of specific offenders.  Clients /should/ indicate the
character encoding in the headers they send, so this is mainly a
safety measure.

If you want to experiment yourself, take a look at the "GET/POST
parameter handling with ... character set" tests in the Hunchentoot
distribution and look at the headers specific clients send.

> Unfortunately, I can't pin the problem I'm having down.  In my last post (which
> began "Stop press!") I thought it must be a SWANK/SLIME issue, but I experience
> the same weird behaviour if I run ccl from a shell.
>
> In short, immediately after load'ing my handler via my init file at startup,
> any non-ascii text in my handler is garbled in the browser.  If I then copy and
> paste the handler into the REPL, i.e., re-evaluate it, the non-ascii text is
> displayed correctly.  What on earth could be causing this?
>
> I'm using my development box (CCL in OS X) at the moment.  I'm going to go and
> test it on my production box (SBCL in Debian).  I don't know what else to try.

I think you should first try to do this from the command line without
Emacs to see if the problem remains.  This very much (lacking a
detailed description) sounds like an Emacs problem to me.