[hunchentoot-devel] Default external format

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Fri Oct 9 09:54:38 UTC 2009

Quoth Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de>:
> *HUNCHENTOOT-DEFAULT-EXTERNAL-FORMAT* is used when computing the
> /request/ object.  As you said, it doesn't have an effect on the
> reply.

Ah... I missed that.  Thanks for the clarification.

The need for a default encoding when computing the request object suggests to
me that there must be such things as badly formed requests, i.e., ones from
which the character encoding can't be reliably determined.?  If so, which
clients are the worst offenders, just out of interest?

> The test suite which is delivered with Hunchentoot contains examples
> for UTF-8 output.

Noted.

Unfortunately, I can't pin the problem I'm having down.  In my last post (which
began "Stop press!") I thought it must be a SWANK/SLIME issue, but I experience
the same weird behaviour if I run ccl from a shell.

In short, immediately after load'ing my handler via my init file at startup,
any non-ascii text in my handler is garbled in the browser.  If I then copy and
paste the handler into the REPL, i.e., re-evaluate it, the non-ascii text is
displayed correctly.  What on earth could be causing this?

I'm using my development box (CCL in OS X) at the moment.  I'm going to go and
test it on my production box (SBCL in Debian).  I don't know what else to try.

Seb
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.