[hunchentoot-devel] Default external format

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Oct 8 23:14:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Sebastian Tennant
<sebyte at smolny.plus.com> wrote:

> I don't often see messages of thanks on open source software mailing lists, so,
> without wishing to sound obsequious, let me buck the trend by thanking Edi, and
> everone else, before and since, for their work on hunchentoot.

Thanks... :)

> I've found that setting this at the top level of cl-user:
>
>  (setf tbnl:*hunchentoot-default-external-format* tbnl::+utf-8+)
>
> has no effect, other than preventing an error when a handler produces non-ascii
> text, i.e., the non-ascii text is garbled when displayed in the browser,
> despite including the line:
>
>  (setf (tbnl:content-type*) "text/html; charset=utf-8")
>
> in the handler.
>
> The problem is solved by also including the line:
>
>  (setf (tbnl:reply-external-format tbnl:*REPLY*) tbnl::+utf-8+)
>
> in the handler, so what then is the purpose if the special variable?

As explained in the documentation, the special variable
*HUNCHENTOOT-DEFAULT-EXTERNAL-FORMAT* is used when computing the
/request/ object.  As you said, it doesn't have an effect on the
reply.

The test suite which is delivered with Hunchentoot contains examples
for UTF-8 output.

HTH,
Edi.