[hunchentoot-devel] Two questions

Maciej Pasternacki maciekp at japhy.fnord.org
Fri Mar 14 12:26:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 21:31 +0100, Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:06:36 +0100, Nicolas Neuss <neuss at math.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>
> > I have two questions.  The first is probably a stupid one: is it
> > possible to serve both http and https on the same port?  With one
> > Hunchentoot instance?
>
> No, that's generally not possible.  It's not a Hunchentoot limitation.
> How is the client supposed to know which protocol they should use?

Nitpick: theoretically, it may be possible.  Client is supposed to know
this by URL anyway (http://example.com:42/ vs https://example.com:42/),
and server should be able to recognise whether start of client's request
is encrypted or not.

OTOH I never heard of such functionality, and can't imagine any scenario
(maybe except some case of guerilla deployment or firewall piercing)
where this could be actually useful.

--
-><- Maciej 'japhy' Pasternacki -><- http://www.pasternacki.net/ -><-