[tbnl-devel] Weird problem with cookies and startup

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Fri Feb 25 22:30:54 UTC 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 5:17 PM, Edi Weitz wrote:

> Hi Bob!
>
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:00:44 -0500, Bob Hutchison <hutch at recursive.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> I've been using TBNL for a few weeks and am encountering some
>> strange behaviour when sessions time out. Specifically, once a
>> session times out I start getting multiple cookies written to the
>> browser -- as the user navigates around the site the cookie, and so
>> the session, changes.
>>
>> I am wondering if this is a known problem. If so, maybe some
>> advice. Otherwise, I'll try to isolate the problem better so I can
>> provide a more precise description of what is happening.
>
> I haven't seen that yet.  If you could provide a reproducible test
> case that'd be very nice.

OK, I should be able to get something together, though it might take a
couple of days.

>> There is another problem for which I have no explanation: when the
>> lisp system is first started up it takes several attempts to load
>> the page before the page is loaded (it isn't getting as far as the
>> lisp program I think). Same thing: if this is familiar, maybe some
>> advice... otherwise I'll try to describe the problem better.
>
> Had you used TBNL and/or mod_lisp before and then restarted the Lisp?
> You might be fighting with Apache children trying to use now-dead
> socket connections to the old Lisp image.
>
> If that's the case restarting Apache is your best solution, `apachectl
> graceful' should suffice.

There's an idea... I wish I had thought of it. I'll give that a shot.
I've got a feeling that somehow these two problems are related. I'll
try the restart and see if that fixes both problems -- if nothing else,
it'll eliminate some odd stuff.

>> I'm using Lispworks 4.4 professional on OS/X (10.3.8) using what
>> ever the current versions of Apache 1.x (for OS/X) and mod_lisp.
>
> I don't use Macs so I hope this is not a Mac-specific problem that I
> can't debug.

So do I :-)

Thanks,
Bob