[tbnl-devel] Weird problem with cookies and startup

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Sun Feb 27 14:00:38 UTC 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 4:00 PM, Bob Hutchison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using TBNL for a few weeks and am encountering some strange
> behaviour when sessions time out. Specifically, once a session times
> out I start getting multiple cookies written to the browser -- as the
> user navigates around the site the cookie, and so the session,
> changes.
>
> I am wondering if this is a known problem. If so, maybe some advice.
> Otherwise, I'll try to isolate the problem better so I can provide a
> more precise description of what is happening.

The restart does not fix this problem, but it is a lot clearer what is
going on. I still have not isolated the problem, I'll try to do that
today (if I don't manage it today other things will start interfering
and it'll take a bit longer)

This happens with both safari and firefox (I haven't tried any other
browsers), though the behaviour is a bit different. In the case of
Safari I get a cookie for each page I visited in the previous 'session'
plus one new cookie. In the case of firefox, I get two cookies: the old
one and the new one, and there is some sort of confusion between the
two. Firefox is a simpler situation so I'll try to isolate the problem
using it.

> There is another problem for which I have no explanation: when the
> lisp system is first started up it takes several attempts to load the
> page before the page is loaded (it isn't getting as far as the lisp
> program I think). Same thing: if this is familiar, maybe some
> advice... otherwise I'll try to describe the problem better.

The restart of Apache fixes this as far as I can tell. Thanks for the
suggestion.