[tbnl-devel] Weird problem with cookies and startup

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Feb 25 22:17:27 UTC 2005

Hi Bob!

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:00:44 -0500, Bob Hutchison <hutch at recursive.ca> wrote:

> I've been using TBNL for a few weeks and am encountering some
> strange behaviour when sessions time out. Specifically, once a
> session times out I start getting multiple cookies written to the
> browser -- as the user navigates around the site the cookie, and so
> the session, changes.
>
> I am wondering if this is a known problem. If so, maybe some
> advice. Otherwise, I'll try to isolate the problem better so I can
> provide a more precise description of what is happening.

I haven't seen that yet.  If you could provide a reproducible test
case that'd be very nice.

> There is another problem for which I have no explanation: when the
> lisp system is first started up it takes several attempts to load
> the page before the page is loaded (it isn't getting as far as the
> lisp program I think). Same thing: if this is familiar, maybe some
> advice... otherwise I'll try to describe the problem better.

Had you used TBNL and/or mod_lisp before and then restarted the Lisp?
You might be fighting with Apache children trying to use now-dead
socket connections to the old Lisp image.

If that's the case restarting Apache is your best solution, `apachectl
graceful' should suffice.

> I'm using Lispworks 4.4 professional on OS/X (10.3.8) using what
> ever the current versions of Apache 1.x (for OS/X) and mod_lisp.

I don't use Macs so I hope this is not a Mac-specific problem that I
can't debug.

Cheers,
Edi.