[movitz-devel] Re: The Bi-Annual Movitz Newsletter

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Sat Mar 17 18:07:31 UTC 2007

Hello and welcome, Terry,

> [..] In my poking around the internet, I ran across something a
> while ago called an Exokernel at MIT.
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/exo/
>
> Now, I'm not advocating that you use it in it's current form,
> rather, I would just offer it as a possible model of how you might
> modify your kernel to solve your "busy-looping" problem.

I do remember we studied Exokernel at school. The slogan "exterminate
all abstractions!" or something to that effect springs to mind. The
idea I believe is that an Exokernel should do just what is absolutely
necessary to provide protection (aka. "safe multiplexing" between
processes/applications/subsystems), and nothing in the way of
abstraction ("libraries" you might say).

I have to confess I don't immediately see how this relates to the
"busy-looping problem". Maybe you can say something more about what
you had in mind?

Thinking about it now, on a conceptual level it seems to me that
Movitz is almost the antithesis to Exokernel, as Movitz is pretty much
all abstractions an no protection.. :-)

Regards,
--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld