[movitz-devel] Re: The Bi-Annual Movitz Newsletter

Terence Sullivan tesullivan at knology.net
Sun Mar 18 00:51:24 UTC 2007

> I do remember we studied Exokernel at school. The slogan "exterminate
> all abstractions!" or something to that effect springs to mind. The
> idea I believe is that an Exokernel should do just what is absolutely
> necessary to provide protection (aka. "safe multiplexing" between
> processes/applications/subsystems), and nothing in the way of
> abstraction ("libraries" you might say).
>
> I have to confess I don't immediately see how this relates to the
> "busy-looping problem". Maybe you can say something more about what
> you had in mind?
>
> Thinking about it now, on a conceptual level it seems to me that
> Movitz is almost the antithesis to Exokernel, as Movitz is pretty much
> all abstractions an no protection.. :-)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Frode Vatvedt Fjeld
Well, the papers that I'd read led me to believe that the Exokernel they
created was almost entirely event driven and that there really wasn't a
main OS processing loop in it. My impression of what you were referring
to as your "busy loop" problem was that it had something to do with this
main OS processing loop. Hence the connection.

My interpretations may be in error on either topic since I haven't done
much more than get acquainted with them. But it sparked a memory that I
thought might lead you to an answer to your problem.

Terry