[clfswm-devel] How to install clisp for clfswm?

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Mon Jan 21 21:47:21 UTC 2008

Matthieu Moy a écrit :

> Hi,

Hi, thanks for trying clfswm!

> I'm giving a try to clfswm. I'm running debian unstable, and tried to
> run clfswm by installing the packages cl-clx-sbcl and clisp, and
> launching clfswm with clisp load.lisp.

I think the cl-clx-sbcl is for sbcl and is not needed by clisp.
clisp can be built with new-clx (faster) or mit-clx (more stable).
I think the debian clisp comes with new-clx built in.

> It "works", but I get a segfault after a few minutes of usage. For
> example, Mod1-f1, then "h" gets a relatively reproducible
> segfault :-(.

I got this on debian/testing with clisp 2.41/new-clx but not with
clisp 2.43/new-clx.

Before trying to install clisp maybe a simple test is to run clfswm
from sbcl (it works for me on debian/testing).

> So, I'm trying to install clisp myself, but without success :
>
> dowloaded clisp-2.43.tar.gz, then
>
> ./configure --prefix=...
> cd src
> make
> make install
>
> It suceeds, I get a new "clisp", but trying to run clfswm, I get

> ; registering #<SYSTEM CLFSWM #x203E4616> as CLFSWM
> ;; Compiling file /home/moy/local/usr/src/clfswm/package.lisp ...
> *** - SYSTEM::%FIND-PACKAGE: There is no package with name "XLIB"
>
> Then, I found a modules/clx/new-clx/ in the clisp distribution, but I
> don't understand how to install it (there's a README which seems
> totally outdated).
>
> So, what's the easyest way to run clfswm on Debian? Any hint on a
> reliable package, or the way to compile clisp with clx myself?

This is normal, the clx module is not built by default.
Here is a part of the script I use to build clisp:

./configure build
cd build
./makemake --with-dynamic-ffi  --srcdir=../src  --with-module="clx/mit-clx"   > Makefile
cp -p ../src/cfgunix.lisp config.lisp
chmod +w config.lisp
echo '(setq *clhs-root-default* "http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/")' >> config.lisp
make
make check
make install

It built the mit-clx module which I found more stable (I use it every
days).

Then to use the additional modules you need to start clisp with the
full set :

$ clisp -K full load.lisp

And as said above, for a first try sbcl is more simple (but it needs a
lot of memory):

$ sbcl --load load.lisp
or
$ sbcl