[cffi-devel] CFFI 0.9.0 Release

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Feb 22 19:23:41 UTC 2006

James Bielman wrote:

>I've released the current darcs version of CFFI as 0.9.0.  The darcs
>tree has been tagged and checkpointed
You should do that more often, because it creates shorter patch files.  Previously, a tiny 10 line patch had 40KB worth of context.  That is gone since you tagged cffi recently.  Context is now much smaller.

>I consider this the "beta" release leading up to a real 1.0 version.

Of course, you're free to tag any version with any number you like.  Here are points I'd like to see addressed:

1. IMHO CFFI should not go 1.0 prior to acknowledging that there's a relationship between functions and libraries (i.e. UFFI's :module keyword).  Arseny has a case on MS-Windows where there are two versions of sprintf in different MS .dlls.  One does not pass some tests, the other does.

So far, CFFI does not allow the user to control which functions gets loaded from there.  I consider this a *huge* misfeature.

2. I suggest you add the block operations API with my suggestions (from monthes ago).  It's trivial to implement naively, and it would do users good to be able to use it (even CFFI code can benefit from it, there currently are a few block loops here and there).  Later CVS versions may then add optimized versions for special cases.

3. (trivial): provide a uffi.asd file in a subdirectory, so people can load that and play with programs using ASDF and UFFI. A system named uffi-compat is IMHO useless, because these programs have ASDF look for a system named #:uffi.

Regards,
	Jorg