[cells-gtk-devel] Documentation

Peter Denno peter.denno at nist.gov
Tue Jul 4 00:03:41 UTC 2006

On Monday 03 July 2006 18:42, Shaun Kruger wrote:
> I haven't been able to find much documentation for cells-gtk.  Now
> that I have a working cells-gtk environment (thanks for the new
> tarball Peter) I'm trying to get into proper development.
>
> I setup a wiki to start working on some documentation, but I have some
> questions.
>
> Was there documentation that I missed?

The gtk documentation is pretty good. As Kenny Tilton points out, cells-gtk
should resemble it.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/index.html

> How do I produce a list of keyword arguments for each of the
> (mk-<widgetname>) functions?

You could look at the direct or effective slots in the clos objects. In fact,
you could build the skeleton of such documentation by writing a program that
printed these out...something like what you'd get with javadocs. Maybe
somebody already has something like this for common lisp.

Try (find-class 'cgtk:text-view) and use the inspector to get a sense of it.

Also (if you aren't so much into wandering off into a documentation project)
learn how slime can help you get around the code effectively. Between slime
and the gtk docs you probably can figure it out. (Not to suggest that this
can't be made much easier!)

> I can see the list when I pass in an invalid keyword and make-instance
> throws an error, but I suspect there's a better way of doing it than
> causing errors.
> Is there anyone who would be willing to help me document cells-gtk?

I can help a little if you can get it organized.

> If anyone would like to look at the wiki I set up it can be found at
> http://www.cl-developer.com.  Cells-GTK looks like a great toolkit,
> but it's really kind of useless if no one can find docs.
>
> I also plan on putting up a tutorial or two as I do a little more with
> this.  I still have a little bit to learn about using cells in general
> too.

Sounds good.

--
- Best regards,