[cells-gtk-devel] Documentation

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 23:37:28 UTC 2006

On 7/3/06, Shaun Kruger <shaun.kruger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't been able to find much documentation for cells-gtk.  Now
> that I have a working cells-gtk environment (thanks for the new
> tarball Peter) I'm trying to get into proper development.
>
> I setup a wiki to start working on some documentation,

ha-ha, there is a universal impulse of newcomers to document cells-related
projects, and if you succeed you will be the first! I just did my bit by
documenting UPPER and NEAREST (under upper only if anyone wants to
propagate).

but I have some
> questions.
>
> Was there documentation that I missed?

GTk documentation? :) That's my excuse, anyway.

How do I produce a list of keyword arguments for each of the
> (mk-<widgetname>) functions?

Joking aside, there should be a one-one mapping between Lisp classes and Gtk
classes, and in this case between lisp slots/iitargs and Gtk configuration
options. Perhaps a useful form of documentation is to hunt down the few
exceptions from that rule, document those and then say "otherwise, Just
Think Gtk".

As a design principle, while Lispniks usually like to remake the world (and
third-party libraries) in thier own image, in the case of a GUI library
wrapper there is an obvious benefit to being as transparent as possible.
Twofold, really. First, if you know Gtk from C, you know Cells-Gtk. And,
yes, the Gtk documentation is immediately applicable.

I can see the list when I pass in an invalid keyword and make-instance
> throws an error, but I suspect there's a better way of doing it than
> causing errors.

<g> I kinda prefer reacting to backtraces to trying to read the tortured
technical prose of most writers.

Is there anyone who would be willing to help me document cells-gtk?

See "upper". :)

kt