[cells-devel] Celtk/cells: No Widgets! Help!

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 03:20:58 UTC 2006

Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>On 4/13/06, Frank Goenninger <fgoenninger at prion.de> wrote:
>

>>Hi again ...
>>
>>With substantial help I was able to get some more stuff to work as
>>expected. Now I am struggling with the fact that the menubar does
>>indeed have the menus I installed but the few widgets I placed into
>>the window simply don't appear...
>>
>>Hmm - well, yes, why?? (As always, there's a FRGO placed here and there)
>>
>>How do I debug what is being sent to wish ?
>>

>Ltk itself obeys a variable *debug-tk* which, when true, causes it to
>echo everything to *standard-output*.  Since it looks like Kenny has
>his own format-wish function, you'll need to edit those.

Yep. Somewhat condensed:

(defun tk-format-now (fmt$ &rest fmt-args &aux (tk$ (apply 'format nil
fmt$ fmt-args)))
  (let ((yes '("font"))
        (no  '()))
    (when (and (find-if (lambda (s) (search s tk$)) yes)
            (not (find-if (lambda (s) (search s tk$)) no)))
      (format t "~&tk> ~a~%" tk$)))

  (assert (wish-stream *wish*)) ;; when not??
  (setf *tk-last* tk$)
  (format (wish-stream *wish*) "~a~%" tk$)
  (force-output (wish-stream *wish*)))

Hack that to get various amounts of output.

>However, mysteriously missing widgets sounds like something isn't
>being packed.  You may have a situation like:
>
>  toplevel
>    +-frame
>        +widget
>        +widget

In this case we had both a failure to inherit from widgets as well as a
failure to pack the toplevel widgets, understandable given the utter
documentation void. :)