[cells-devel] Celtk/cells: No Widgets! Help!

Frank Goenninger fgoenninger at prion.de
Fri Apr 14 13:47:40 UTC 2006

Hi all:

Thanks for all the feedback. I had various problems with my Apple
Mail.app on the still a bit rough MacBook Pro on Intel... I apologize
for sending some of my requests in  multiple ways ...

Anyway:

Am 14.04.2006 um 05:20 schrieb Ken Tilton:

> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
>
>> On 4/13/06, Frank Goenninger <fgoenninger at prion.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi again ...
>>>
>>> With substantial help I was able to get some more stuff to work as
>>> expected. Now I am struggling with the fact that the menubar does
>>> indeed have the menus I installed but the few widgets I placed into
>>> the window simply don't appear...
>>>
>>> Hmm - well, yes, why?? (As always, there's a FRGO placed here and
>>> there)
>>>
>>> How do I debug what is being sent to wish ?
>>>

>> Ltk itself obeys a variable *debug-tk* which, when true, causes it to
>> echo everything to *standard-output*.  Since it looks like Kenny has
>> his own format-wish function, you'll need to edit those.
>>

> Yep. Somewhat condensed:
>
> (defun tk-format-now (fmt$ &rest fmt-args &aux (tk$ (apply 'format
> nil fmt$ fmt-args)))
>  (let ((yes '("font"))
>        (no  '()))
>    (when (and (find-if (lambda (s) (search s tk$)) yes)
>            (not (find-if (lambda (s) (search s tk$)) no)))
>      (format t "~&tk> ~a~%" tk$)))
>  (assert (wish-stream *wish*)) ;; when not??
>  (setf *tk-last* tk$)
>  (format (wish-stream *wish*) "~a~%" tk$)
>  (force-output (wish-stream *wish*)))
>
> Hack that to get various amounts of output.

Will do.

>> However, mysteriously missing widgets sounds like something isn't
>> being packed.  You may have a situation like:
>>
>>  toplevel
>>    +-frame
>>        +widget
>>        +widget
>>
> In this case we had both a failure to inherit from widgets as well
> as a failure to pack the toplevel widgets, understandable given the
> utter documentation void. :)

Well, in my case add to this the simple fact I've never done Tk
before...

As always: Great help from you guys! Thx!

Now back to hacking...

Happy Easter!

Frank