[cells-devel] Can someone help Rui? Re: lisp + glut

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 18 07:20:56 UTC 2003

jan wrote:

>Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Step one would be to do nothing but get Freeglut built on Linux,
>>tested out with one of the "C" demos that comes with it. FG just had
>>a major release and support there is very prompt. I built FG2
>>without a problem on win32, but got sidetracked before I could build
>>the C demos.
>>

>Done, all the C demos seemed to work.

Great.

>>Step 2 is driving FG2 and OpenGL from CL. I have somewhere a Lisp
>>implementation of exercise 14 from the NeHe OpenGL site. That does
>>not involve my Cells library, so it could be a good test case. I'll
>>make sure it still works on FG2 on win32 first.
>>

>If you send me sources I'll try get it working on cmucl.

OK, the first thing you need is the cmucl described by mr. burdick earlier today, including his (I am guessing -- there were two candidates) patches to cmu to support callbacks from C. If perchance there is some quick way to confirm that is working (an included test C stub lib?), you can eliminate that variable moving forward. Then...

...repeat using UFFI as your FFI. Now UFFI is utterly devoid of callback support precisely because folks like CMU did not support callbacks, but do as I did with win32 CLs: get callbacks working by extending UFFI with stuff that works for CMU. Use FFI wherever possible. I will post tomorrow (when I am not exhausted) a zip of my stuff, so you can just add some #+cmu features to my callback extensions to UFFI.

At this point FG works, CMU callbacks work, CMU+UFFI works with callbacks...time to CMU+UFFI+FG. What that will entail is building my UFFI bindings to opengl (hopefully not a problem) and then getting maybe a hundred lines of CL (Lesson 14 of Nehe) to work.

Jan, thx for jumping in on this.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com