[xcvb-devel] XCVB .382, now with ASDF and POIU backends

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:30:44 UTC 2009

Since our previous attempt at using XCVB on a very large project had
bad performance issues because of very deep dependency tree, and until
we optimize this tree, we now provide a fast compilation backend to
XCVB using POIU to compile in parallel (POIU only supports SBCL and
CCL at this point in time). This was tested by compiling XCVB itself
with this fast backend:
  xcvb nm --build xcvb --parallel && make -f xcvb-ne.mk

A variant of the backend can also be used to create a .asd file for
your XCVB builds so you can integrate XCVB software into systems built
with an ASDF workflow. The output is simplified, and will have less
information than an .asd file written by hand; it will not make use of
any ASDF extension that may provide features comparable to what XCVB
does (generated files, conditional compilation, requires, data
dependencies, warning control). Nonetheless it provides a usable
bridge between XCVB projects and ASDF projects, and its output can
serve as the input for further manual massaging into a full-featured
.asd file:
  xcvb x2a -b /xcvb -o /tmp/xcvb.asd

The latest XCVB release can be found here:
  http://common-lisp.net/projects/xcvb/releases/

POIU can be found on QITAB:
  http://common-lisp.net/projects/qitab/

There are three types of people in the world;
those who can count, and those who can't.