[xcvb-devel] XCVB .370, the it's mainly working edition

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 19:08:20 UTC 2009

I've compiled most of QRes with XCVB. 1307 lisp source files so far.
On a quad-core machine using SBCL and CFASL, it was an order of
magnitude slower than ASDF, notably because of some files with deep
dependencies on up to 277 other files the CFASLs of which had to be
painstakingly loaded.

If your dependencies run less deep and you have enough cores, you
might achieve a speed up instead of a slowdown.

In any case, XCVB provides determinism, repeatability, incremental
compilation and phase separation to CL builds.

Otherwise, all is not lost for me, as there is plenty of progress to
be made to automate the optimization of dependencies, possibly
separating compile-time, load-time and cfasl-load-time dependencies.
Or possibly in using fork to cache image state without dumping images.
I'll keep you tuned.

As usual, the latest release tarballs can be found at the URL below,
and I welcome any feedback on the use of it:
   http://common-lisp.net/project/xcvb/

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
        -- Dale Carnegie