[vial-devel] darcs patch: normal mode commands, cc, c<motion>, s, S, -, +, J, X

Alessandro Piras laynor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 21:13:02 UTC 2006

> > (define-bindings
> >   (*join-lines-command-binding* "J")
> >   (*change-single-line-from-active-binding* "cc")
> >    .....)
> > This would make changing actual bindings clearer I think. Also I think that
> > surely there's a better way to do something like this than "defining a bunch
> > of variables", but I'm a noob and now i
> > thought of it as a simple method =)
> Hmm, I don't understand what you mean exactly here, but just looking
> at the code I don't really like the way it sits on the page :)  I'm
> not sure why we need the global vars.

The thing I thought is about making it easier for the (end) user to
change some bindings. I guess there's a better way to do it than
global variables, maybe putting the bindings in a hash table or
something like that...
Doing so the end user can modify the bindings (or add new ones)  just
putting (*<name--of-the-command>-bindings* "hk") inside the define
bindings form instead of having to deal with define-pattern forms
(that are also repeated thru all the code, so making a macro is not a
bad thing I think).

> > We also have a bunch of commands that go into insert-mode, thus creating the
> > pattern
> > (defun foo (args)
> >    body
> >    (enter-insert-mode))
> > so.... what about erasing this pattern too?
> This could be worth changing, any ideas about what the new pattern
> should look like?
I thought of a macro that could look like
(define-insert-command foo(args)
    body)
that expands to the pattern I highlighted above :)

> BTW, it's nice to have somebody to chat with about Vial - please don't
> think that I am being too harsh about your ideas.  I am very open to
> doing things different ways, but I might need convincing sometimes :)

Don't worry, I know how it feels when someone wants to change things
:) I'll try to explain my ideas better on irc!