[hunchentoot-devel] Reload in browser seems not to work right

Willem Rein Oudshoorn woudshoo at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 3 17:05:47 UTC 2013

I have some issues when I try to reload a page which is served by
hunchentoot.

Note that this only happens with Safari.  Firefox and Chrome seem
to behave correctly.

I first observed an issue with weblocks and afterwards I tried plain
hunchentoot.  The plain hunchentoot exhibits different behaviour, but
also a behaviour which seems wrong.

1. Plain hunchentoot
--------------------

I did the following with both SBCL and CCL on MacOSX:

 - start Common Lisp
 - do:  (ql:quickload "hunchentoot")
 - do:
    (hunchentoot:start (make-instance 'hunchentoot:easy-acceptor :port 4242))
   which is copied from the documantation.
 - Point my browser to http://localhost:4242
 - Observation 1:  Everything looks fine
 - do: Reload in browser
 - Observation 2:  The 'made with lisp image' is not visible anymore.

Now it seems an additional reload brings the image back.  In fact,
reload in the browser toggles the visibility of the image.

The developer console of safari seems to indicate that 1/2 the times the
request image never arrives.

2. Weblocks
-----------
Now this might be a problem with weblocks or hunchentoot, howver the
following happens:

 - A reload takes about 2.7 minutes (the original page is loaded
   almost instantaneous.
 - For all my static resources (e.g. javascript files etc),
   the requests take about 25 seconds and return status 304
   which is:   +http-not-modified+
 - I have 11 static resources (it seems to be doing about 2 requests in
   parallel??)

Has anybody seen something similar?

3. Versions
Hunchentoot: 1.2.11
SBCL:  "1.1.3.8-3eed775"
CCL: "Version 1.8-r15416M  (DarwinX8664)"
Safari: Version 6.0.2 (8536.26.17)

Kind regards,
Wim Oudshoorn.