[hunchentoot-devel] [patch] Invoking the debugger in Hunchentoot

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 09:31:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 09:45, Frode V. Fjeld <frode at netfonds.no> wrote:
> Hans Hübner  ->   Edi Weitz
>
>> You were the one who convinced me that *break-on-signals* is all you
>> need, and who am I to dissent? :P
>
> Just as an apropos to the discussion: I just had the cunning idea to use
> an around method on process-request to set up some dynamic variables
> that were initially unbound, and with a handler-bind that would compute
> the init-forms upon first use of the variable, thus only computing the
> bindings' init-forms when they are actually required. The
> *break-on-signals* approach would not mix well with this technique.

To continue flogging a dead horse:  I consented with the removal of
the hunchentoot specific debugging mechanism because I still have
something of a C++ mindset, part of which is considering exception
handling as being exclusively for error handling.  In C++, exception
handling has undefined performance characteristics, which is why it is
considered bad style to use it in non-error circumstances.  In Lisp,
performance is generally not that well-defined, and it is generally
more open to multiple styles and paradigms, so restricting the use of
signals to genuine error handling is much less sensible.

So:  Apologies :)