[hunchentoot-devel] [patch] Invoking the debugger in Hunchentoot (was: Invoke-debugger)

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Mon Nov 16 16:24:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> wrote:
> Hans mentioned this today and I now that I found some time to think
> about it, I tend to agree with him:
>
> The problem with the new approach is that if you want to debug your
> web app, you need to change the acceptor class.  That's a bit
> inconvenient compared to the good old days of setting/binding a
> special variable, isn't it?

Hey, you're the guy who took out the special variable. ;-)

> Shouldn't the standard acceptor class provide the ability to switch
> debugging on and off at runtime?  Maybe with a (class) slot or
> something instead of a special variable?  The protocol that you added
> is I think still useful and should be kept nevertheless.
>
> Thought?

I agree with your new position--it's more useful to be able to change
the behavior of a running server to choose between logging, ignoring,
or debugging errors just by setting a variable. Whether it's in a slot
or special variable doesn't matter a ton. Though I could imagine cases
where a special variable would be handy--you could change the policy
in one piece of application code without affecting others.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel
http://www.codersatwork.com/