[hunchentoot-devel] Using Hunchentoot and cl-who with other people (non-coders)

Andy Chambers achambers.home at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 1 10:34:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Larry Clapp <larry at theclapp.org> wrote:
> Hi, list,
>
> I am developing my first web app of any kind.  I've no experience with
> other web app frameworks (like RoR or what have you).  I am working
> with a friend, who knows Dreamweaver and other fairly high level
> web-design tools, but can't code at all.  On the other hand, I don't
> know web-design at all, using tools or not, so we're pretty
> complementary.
>
> So I'm seeking guidance on how I can continue to develop using
> Hunchentoot and cl-who, and yet integrate machine-generated html or
> css or what have you from Dreamweaver or other tools?
>
> As I understand it, this is a known difficulty that other teams and
> tool designers have faced, and if I'd ever worked with any other teams
> or tools then it might be a no-brainer, but given my lack of
> experience in this respect I'm not even sure what to Google to find
> answers for myself.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice, links, pointers, etc, that users of
> Hunchentoot and/or cl-who could provide.  Thanks!

It would be fairly simple to write an XSLT stylesheet that converts
the output of
Dreamweaver (or whatever) into cl-who style forms.  You take those forms,
manually strip out the "Lorum Ipsum ...." content and replace it with
forms that
generate the actual data.

I haven't actually done this myself (not fortunate enough to know a graphics
person to help me) but given your constraints, that's how I'd probably do
it.

Another approach would be to turn the process on it's head.  Have cl-who
generate a static page with no style information at all and give that to the
graphics guy.  He then has to figure out the correct CSS incantations to
make the page look equally pretty on all browsers.

--
Andy