[hunchentoot-devel] Re: Current development

Lars Rune Nøstdal larsnostdal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 19:00:01 UTC 2008

Bob Hutchison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10-Jun-08, at 5:23 AM, Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a "comet" server. Hence the somewhat unusual way of
>> dealing with connections/streams.
>
> That sounds interesting. How is it going?

Hi,
It's progressing well and getting it to scale better is soon on the top of things to do.

> How does what you're doing compare to what has been done here:
>
> <http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb>

Yeah, that's what I need this for. I've currently implemented Comet in that thing by setting the request/response thread to sleep (wait-condition), and it works great; but it will not scale because there is a limit to the amount of threads a server can have hanging around like that.

..so again that's why I need a "threadless" socket/stream from HT.. :)

> Anyway, please keep us updated on this list. I'm sure there are a bunch
> of us who are interested.

Ok. Yeah, maybe a Comet module for HT would be of interest. I really hate promising things, but I might give it a try; I mean, attempt make it modularized and not hardwired into SymbolicWeb .... x)

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/