[hunchentoot-devel] how much virtual memory do your servers use?

Jeff Cunningham jeffrey at cunningham.net
Sat Jan 5 19:32:19 UTC 2008

I just noticed that two hunchentoot servers I'm running (on different
machines) are using 528m and 894m, respectively, as reported by top. Yet
the core images that SBCL creates are only 71.5m and 62.0m,
respectively. I was wondering if there is a memory leak, so I killed
them and restarted them. The virtual memory usage was exactly the same
right when they started up.

I know next to nothing about garbage collection in Lisp, so if it has
something to do with that, I'm lost. But I'm wondering if there's
something wrong? For the core to expand to roughly 10x in virtual memory
seems excessive and ultimately limiting in terms of server usage.

What kind of virtual memory usage do you folks see in your servers? And
how does it correlate with Lisp implementations? If you will send me
some numbers I will pull together some statistics and post them.

FWIW: I'm running SBCL 1.0.12, Hunchentoot 0.14.7, and the package
dependencies all brought up to date as of when 0.14.7 was released.

Thanks,

--Jeff