[hunchentoot-devel] Hunchentoot performance

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Sun Dec 30 23:24:04 UTC 2007

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:47:06 +0100, Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> wrote:

> Yes, maybe.  Is there a mature, stable, well-documented logging
> framework out there that works with all Lisps supported by
> Hunchentoot?  How would such a framework deal with several threads
> trying to log at the same time if not with locking?
>
> One could also think of a setup where there's one dedicated logging
> process and other processes write to the log file by sending objects
> to its mailbox:
>
>   http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/process.html#mailbox
>
> (Or use cl-muproc?  Maybe a bit of overkill.)
>
> But that would cancel the support for non-threaded Lisps we have now
> and it would introduce more implementation-dependent code.

Another option would be to make the current way of logging the default
but to let the user bypass and/or change this behaviour if he so
wishes.

For example by making LOG-MESSAGE a generic function.

Oh, wait, it /is/ already a generic function.  And the documentation
says:

  "LOG-MESSAGE is a generic function, so you can specialize it or
   bypass it completely with an around method."

Well... :)