[hunchentoot-devel] Hunchentoot performance

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Sun Dec 30 20:11:41 UTC 2007

Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:

> Right.  All you need now is a website with 400 visitors per
> second... :)

I totally agree with the position that bugfixes, interesting
new features, and ease of use is the main priority.

On the other hand I glad to hear about this performance improvement.
It is not only about 400 visitors per second, but also means
less resource consumption and possibility to run web server on
smaller machine, for example cheap VPN. Also, if we are serving
pages with frames, images etc, even several visitors may produce
many requests, and with performance improvement they will have
better response time.

Several people mentioned that they were surprised by low
hunchentoot performance:
http://abstractstuff.livejournal.com/2007/06/28/
http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/lisp.web.servers.php
If you remember, I too tested hunchentoot by ApacheBench when
running it in SBCL on a VPN with 64 MB of memory and
SBCL was killed by linux because of out-of-memory.

But now, we see that simple fix significantly improve
performance, that proves robust design of hunchentoot.

So it's good.

Sorry for the long letter.

Happy new year,

-- Anton