[hunchentoot-devel] Re: versioning release tarballs

Marijn Schouten (hkBst) hkBst at gentoo.org
Fri Aug 24 13:33:37 UTC 2007

Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:45:00 +0200, Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>
>> hello, would you be kind enough to put system versions in the
>> tarball names of the releases you make or just make some symlinks ?
>> I'm working on adding your latest releases to Gentoo and being able
>> to download already-versioned tarballs would make our task easier
>
> Hi,
>
> I understand that this might make your work a little bit easier, but
> it would be more work for me and it'd completely screw up the existing
> workflow for two dozens of libs I maintain.  So, no, I'm not going to
> change this is in the near future.

It seems to me that changing your scripts to:

# remove old symlink
rm hunchentoot.tar.gz
# run original script
<original script you use to produce hunchentoot.tar.gz>
# add version and recreate symlink
cp hunchentoot.tar.gz hunchentoot-VERSION.tar.gz
ln -s hunchentoot-VERSION.tar.gz hunchentoot.tar.gz

1) would be simple,
2) cost you no more time to create tarballs,
3) whould be backwards compatible with all your workflow
4) would solve the problem not just for Gentoo, but for all
people/distributions interested in distributing your packages, instead of
gratuitously requiring each and every one of them to duplicate the work of
versioning.

I don't see how this simple change can ``completely screw up the existing
workflow for two dozens of libs'', but I am hereby offering to do all of the
work to make the required changes, so all you will need to do is point me to
the scripts and judge the changes I will propose.

> But as the download links from the weitz.de index page are generated
> automatically and thus always look the same, it should be fairly easy
> to write a small script that downloads the current tarballs and
> renames them accordingly.

If you would be willing to run this script and host the versioned tarballs,
then I'm willing to write the script.

sincerely,

Marijn

- --
Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp