API addition: REDIRECT-URL (was: [tbnl-devel] Hunchentoot beta no. 4)

Travis Cross travis at travislists.com
Mon Oct 9 03:34:05 UTC 2006

Edi Weitz wrote:
> FYI, I'm currently re-factoring the code (and changing parts of the
> API while I'm at it).

Here is a small API change that's been sitting in my queue for awhile:

REDIRECT currently builds a full URL out of the script name, the
host, and one of two hard-coded protocols.  This is useful when you
are redirecting to another HTTP/S URL on your site.

Often, however, I have cases where I already know the full URL,
either because the user has given it too me, or because I have it
stored in a database.  It seems wasteful and hazardous to break the
URL apart only to put it back together again.  Also, there are times
when I need to redirect to protocols other than http:// or https://
(such as ftp:// or even sip://).

Therefore I propose that a lower level function be slid underneath
REDIRECT and exported.  I've tentatively called this REDIRECT-URL.

Cheers,

-- Travis