[tbnl-devel] socket problems

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Sat Sep 10 18:36:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:40:37 -0400, Adam Thorsen <adam.thorsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using tbnl with mod_lisp and apache.
>
> I've noticed that when I stop tbnl using (tbnl:stop-tbnl), then
> attempt to start it again,
> I get the following error:
>
> Error while trying to start listener on port 3000
>
> Error in function CREATE-INET-LISTENER:
>    Error binding socket to port 3000: No such file or directory
>
> Sometimes I can resolve this error by killing apache, but sometimes
> I have to reboot my machine.  Any ideas?

It would be helpful if you could tell us which Lisp implementation and
which operating system you use...

The message "No such file or directory" looks kind of strange but I
think this can be due to the socket still being "in use:"

  <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/f463a2c3e09492c4>

I usually see this with CMUCL on Linux.  In that case you don't have
to reboot, though, it suffices to wait for a minute or so.

Cheers,
Edi.