Slime REPL becomes non-responsive

Helmut Eller eller.helmut at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 10:08:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10 2014, Chintan Pathak wrote:

> I am not sure if non-responsive is the ideal description,
>
> but when in my program or a REPL command, if I get an error, and I ABORT the
> execution using 5 as instructed, I get my REPL back. But when I try to
> execute any command, anything, as simple as(+ 2 3) by pressing return, the
> line becomes bold, as usual, then there is no output, the execution just
> hangs there.

Does this also happen if you press q instead of of 5?  In CCL things
look like so

 0: [RETRY] Retry SLIME REPL evaluation request.
 1: [*ABORT] Return to SLIME's top level.
 2: [ABORT-BREAK] Reset this thread
 3: [ABORT] Kill this thread

Pressing q will choose the abort restart marked with * i.e. 1.  This
should continue normally.  q is the recommended way to "continue" after
an error.

If I use the ABORT-BREAK restart I also see non-responsive
behavior. The REPL thread ends up in some "reset" state that doesn't
process requests.  This reset state is some CCL idiosyncrasy.

If I kill the thread with restart 3 a new REPL thread will automatically
be created for the next request.

Helmut