[slime-devel] Daily ChangeLog diff

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Dec 12 08:04:44 UTC 2009

Matthias Koeppe <mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

> Here's a completely different direction how to spend hacking energy on
> SLIME. I'd love to have a version of slime-eval-last-expression that
> works as well as the REPL for long-running computations,
> asynchronously inserting the output of the process into the buffer at
> this point. This would make slime-scratch much more useful. It could
> look like this over the course of the computation:
>
> (long-computation) C-x C-e
>
> (long-computation)
> #<still-computing...>
>
> (long-computation)
> Some output
> #<still-computing...>
>
> (long-computation)
> Some output
> More output
> #<still-computing...>
>
> (long-computation)
> Some output
> More output
> Result
>

> Of course, several computations (maybe even in different Lisp
> processes) would be allowed to be active at the same time in different
> parts of the buffer. And it should work with presentations.

Sure, would be nice. Would even be nicer if slime-repl gets cleaned up
on the way.

A way that better matches existing infrastructure would be to have a
function (SWANK:EMACS-BUFFER-STREAM "*FOOF*") which returns a stream
that sends output into an emacs buffer. IIRC, you can almost have that
today.

  -T.