[slime-devel] Daily ChangeLog diff

Matthias Koeppe mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Dec 11 21:28:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de> wrote:
> Matthias Koeppe <mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
>
>> > Can you think of a way to make it work for either case? Evaluating
>> > lists-as-presentations is annoying.
>>
>> Unfortunately not, though I have been thinking about this since 2006
>> (well, OK, not every day!), when we discussed this issue first on this
>> list.
>
> I think we found a case for *EVALHOOK*. [...]

Ouch, please don't.

Here's a completely different direction how to spend hacking energy on
SLIME. I'd love to have a version of slime-eval-last-expression that
works as well as the REPL for long-running computations,
asynchronously inserting the output of the process into the buffer at
this point. This would make slime-scratch much more useful. It could
look like this over the course of the computation:

(long-computation) C-x C-e

(long-computation)
#<still-computing...>

(long-computation)
Some output
#<still-computing...>

(long-computation)
Some output
More output
#<still-computing...>

(long-computation)
Some output
More output
Result

Of course, several computations (maybe even in different Lisp
processes) would be allowed to be active at the same time in different
parts of the buffer. And it should work with presentations.

Matthias
--
Matthias Koeppe -- http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~mkoeppe