[slime-devel] Re: Maxima+Slime?

Wolfgang Jenkner wjenkner at inode.at
Fri Jun 3 13:04:47 UTC 2005

C Y <smustudent1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Has anybody here tried working with Maxima in Slime?  I have managed
> to figure out how to load it (start slime with sbcl, load
> maxima-build.lisp, then do (maxima-load) to load the fasl files) and
> typing (run) will start Maxima OK,

It's perhaps simpler to use the existing maxima image.  The example
below uses a build tree, but it should be easy to adapt it to a
regular installation (which I never do :-)

C-u M-x slime

and then type in the minibuffer

sbcl --core /usr/src/maxima/src/binary-sbcl/maxima.core

In order to get Maxima to set the various paths correctly I find it
easiest to set MAXIMA_PREFIX and MAXIMA_LAYOUT_AUTOTOOLS in the
environment.  You can do this either from the shell before starting
emacs or from within emacs before starting slime.  The latter works
like this (but your settings are likely different)

(setenv "MAXIMA_PREFIX" "/usr/src/maxima/")
(setenv "MAXIMA_LAYOUT_AUTOTOOLS" "false")

> but then when I tried to do load("./file.mac"); I got some kind of
> error

I think you get the same error if you just type `true;' or something.

Not a serious problem as far as Maxima is concerned.  Just a spurious
call to interactive-stream-p in OUTPUT (src/displa.lisp).  Apparently,
SBCL (and CMUCL) doesn't like being passed a Gray stream as argument
here.  In any case this call will be eliminated as part of

http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2005/009681.html

Wolfgang