[slime-devel] Re: Slime packaging in Debian

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Sun Feb 20 19:30:40 UTC 2005

Luca Capello <luca at pca.it> writes:

> Actually, a Debian package was already prepared by Sean Champ [1] and
> it works well.

I'm having one issue. I've installed the debian package but I want to
actually run slime from CVS. I think it should be enough to just put
the CVS slime first in my load-path before loading, but this part of
the debian init is causing me trouble:

  (setq slime-backend
        "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp")

Normally the CL code is found relative to the Elisp, but if you
install the debian package then it sets an absolute path to the
package-installed Lisp code.

I understand that something like this is needed for the debian package
to install the CL files in a different directory to the Elisp and
still be able to find it. I wonder if there's a nice fix to keep this
file layout but also allow a newer SLIME to "shadow" the debian one
via the load-path?