[slime-devel] problem with C-m-x, eval-region and a host of other functions.

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 26 08:44:32 UTC 2004

Sundar Narasimhan <sundar at itasoftware.com> writes:

> Hi, All: I updated my copy of slime to the dev-head (perhaps this is
> an unwise thing to do :),
> and notice that on fedora core 2 with cmucl, a lot of basic commands
> such as eval-defun,
> eval-region etc. have stopped working.
>
> In the inferior lisp window, when the connection is lost, I see
> printouts of the form:
> ;; Connection to Emacs lost.
> ;; [
> Error in function LISP::ASSERT-ERROR:  Short read: length=798  pos=506]
>
> My cursory examination of the relevant code has me confused.. since I can't
> quite see (yet) how this could happen. Is there a way I can debug this
> or provide
> you all more info? (perhaps tracing with-transcript or dispatch functions?)

In the past, errors like the above were caused by a bug in CMUCL's
read-sequence.  There's a fix for the bug in swank-cmucl.lisp, but it
is preceded by a #+cmu18e because the problem is fixed in newer
versions.  It seems that ITA has some CMUCL version that hasn't the
fix and hasn't cmu18e in the *feature* list.

I changed #+cmu18e to #-cmu19.  Does that solve the problem for you?

The *slime-events* buffer and setting swank::*log-events* to T can be
used to debug such issues.

Helmut.