[***Spam***] Re: [slime-devel] Re: sbcl regression with slime

Gabor Melis mega at hotpop.com
Thu Nov 11 08:41:35 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 00:03, Helmut Eller wrote:
> I think we have two options:
>
>  1) use a fixed coding system between Emacs and Lisp.  This coding
>     system should be unibyte, since that is supported by all Lisps and
>     covers most non-exotic uses.  In this case we have to tell SBCL
>     that it should use iso-latin-1 or similar instead of utf-8 for the
>     socket stream to Emacs.  Your lambda cannot be send to Emacs and
>     the write operation should signal an error.
>
>  2) make the coding system configurable. One advantage is that you can
>     send lambda to Emacs.  The disadvantage is that we have to make
>     the Emacs side multibyte clean, have to write about it in the
>     manual, have the constant feeling that the coding systems don't
>     match.
>
> I strongly prefer option 1.  What do you think?

Once the dust settles and I make the switch to the unicode capable SBCL -
something I've been waiting for a long time - I'll have source code (html
generation mostly) with embedded multi-lingual text, not to mention the
obligatory lambda on the front page. It would be a great annoyance not being
able to see a backtrace with funky characters.

As a user I very much prefer option 2.

Gabor